Sunday, April 28, 2013

Urban Outfitters Silver Holo


Even though the holographic craze is still going strong, the scramble to get them is dying down, and I’m really happy about that. One reason I haven’t broken into the indie polish craze yet is because it’s so damn hard to get your hands on them; I’m really turned off by how they’re sold and how quickly they go. I just don’t want to have to fight a thousand other girls for a nail polish. Also, very few of them impress me. I think Hare has made a few that I would be interested in buying, but whenever I go to Llarowe, they’re gone. And I have to look up times for the next sale, and wait, and…just ugh.

Mass manufacturing has ruined me, I guess.

But holos are becoming more readily available, and that’s really wonderful, because everyone deserves to have a good holo in their arsenal. My first was a Sally Hansen Nail Prism (which I still have and love) way back when, and to date, those remain my favorite types of holos. But when I saw the Urban Outfitters one, I was willing to give it a try. For the amount you get, it’s a very reasonable price, I think ($10 for .5 oz).

Silver Holo is…well, a silver holo. I mostly love it, but there are aspects of it I don’t like. In the sun, it just explodes. My pictures are poor conveyors of how holographic it really is…think of the amount of rainbow you see and double it. Triple it, even.

The formula is thin, even, and streak-free. And the really cool thing is, when indoors, the flat silver will reflect yellow light and look almost pale gold. So you get almost a duochrome effect, but not quite.

What I do not like: unless you’re in the sun and you get the explosive rainbow effect, or in soft light where you can see the gold elements, this polish has the look and reflection of dull car paint. Which is of course to be expected, but it sill makes me sad. I want sparkle all the time! I also experienced a tiny bit of bubbling, but that was on my end-I didn’t wait for  the previous coats to dry before applying the next.

3 coats of Silver Holo over a coat of Nfu Oh’s Aqua base, and no top coat. I wasn’t sure if it would dull or not, so I erred on the safe side. So…gorgeous, yes? I’ll probably be wearing this a lot during the summer, and just hang out outside staring at my nails.

No comments:

Post a Comment